Week One Session Two
While studying the concept of grace and responsibility, I have been comparing it to the idea of Moralistic Therapeutic Deism previously addressed in class. The fact that grace comes hand-in-hand with responsibility is in stark contrast to the "theology" of Moralistic Therapeutic Deism, which would seem to suggest that grace is ours to use when we need it, but responsibility is outdated and unnecessary due to God's grace. The grace and responsibility "package" is evidenced throughout the Bible in both testaments. It is first presented in the story of the creation of humans, who are given dominion over all other living creatures. This implies responsibility, as any position of authority or dominion does, to care for and tend to those over whom dominion is held, not to use that power for selfish purposes. Of course, Adam and Eve also had the responsibility to serve God and obey God's commandments to them, which were seemingly few and simple.
Turning to the New Testament, where the picture of grace is made clearer than ever by Jesus's life among humans and his sacrifice for us, our responsibilities are in turn outlined. Jesus had his own responsibility in saving us through his sacrifice--it was his "cup" to drink. If he had not met this responsibility, God's grace could not have been bestowed upon us. In accepting the grace afforded us by God through Jesus, we are also accepting the responsibility to strive for the kingdom by living in a Christ-like way, serving God and serving others as ourselves. We are not to take advantage of grace; rather, we are to seek to live up to it, even though we know that as humans this is impossible. Obviously, we can strive for the kingdom but we cannot reach it without God's guiding grace.
I relate to this idea because I have always struggled with feeling like I should do more in the service of God, yet not knowing how, or, at times, letting my humanity get in the way of that service. I have never separated grace and responsibility in my heart and mind, but in my actions it would seem as though I have often failed in being responsible. If God were to ask me why I have committed my sins, the answer for almost all of them would be due to selfishness--in a sense, taking advantage of forgiveness.
My best friend has sometimes said jokingly, in reference to his parents, that "it is easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission." I find such truth in this, however, relating it to our relationship with God. How often do we consult God before sinning and decide that we can proceed with God's blessing? I would venture a guess that if we did consult God with a true heart and listen for the answer, sins would be a much rarer occurance. But they occur because when I sin, I do not look to God, for I know it is wrong--but I want to anyway, so I avoid prayer until it is forgiveness I am seeking. In doing so I am shirking my responsibility to God, and admitting so ashames me. This is not the "use" for which grace was intended.
The fact is that there cannot be grace without responsibility. The comforting ally to that fact is that neither can there be responsibility without grace.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home