Bib Worldview Journal

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Blog 6

This week I have found our conversations about the historical context in which the books of the Bible were written to be very interesting and enlightening. There are so many stories and lessons that have much more meaning when one actually takes the time to examine the context in which they were written, but we rarely seem to do so. I think the chronology of the Jewish people and their covanents with God is essential in understanding the relationship that Christians have with God. Gaining knowledge of the social and political persecution that God's people dealt with throughout the centuries before and after Jesus's life on earth enables us to better understand how they as a people and, particularly, the many individuals of whom we learn, related to their religion and to God, and how God treated and related to them.
I was touched by the review of various passages in which God's "feelings" for humans were revealed. While in Randy's section, we discussed the somewhat inaccurate habit of ascribing human emotions to God, several stories in the Bible seem to do just that--the story of Noah is a poignant example of such language. The idea that God was deeply saddened by humans' behavior is one that we can relate to--God's mercy in this situation, however, is an even more spectacular and emotional event--he recognizes and saves the one man who was faithful to him, along with part of his family. Many passages speak of God feeling moved by God's people, another event to which we as humans can relate. Perhaps, even, when we feel moved it is because God is moving inside us--the nature of our relationship is a mystery to me in many ways. There have been times in my life when speaking about my faith, even in the most mundane way, or hearing the simplest words spoken in a manner to which I have connected, I have suddenly felt the stir of something in me and been moved deeply, feeling in those moments very connected to God, but not knowing why it was those moments and not others. Sometimes I am sure God has communicated to me--these moments feel great, of course. Most of the time, however, as I am sure it is for most people, it is hard to know whether I am really in communication with God or not. However, I take to heart the image that we are God's children, and with that an mutual emotional love is implied--I am reminded of the notion I previously had that God was lonely before the creation, that God needs us and needs our love, just as we need God's love. With that love, of course, a deep responsibility is involved, and every other fruit that true love bears. But it is a mutual covenant in which we are participants with God--our duties may be quite different, but God has made promises to us just as we have made promises to God, and when we break those promises, both parties in our covenant feel that pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home